Friday, January 30, 2009

Lightbulb Moment

DOH! I may not have a camera, but I do have a scanner!

I'm not sure if I mentioned that I was taking Lily Kern's Journal Quilting class at QU. It is a GREAT class if you're interested in design, getting ideas out of your head and into a journal quilt, or figuring out what it is you might have to "say" in your artwork.

Anyway, here is a little journal quilt that I came up with after following Lily's suggestions for a type of "doodling." I've included some (really bad) sketches I used during the process. It still needs work, but I'm pleased with it as this stage.

Btw, I quilted the piece first and then added color with Neocolor water-soluble crayons. These are fun, fun, fun to work with and give a beautiful, watercolor-like effect to the fabric.

But here's the really exciting part: as part of the lesson, Lily suggests ways to brainstorm variations to the design. I now have an entire PAGE of ideas that I could use for a series if I wanted to. I always thought a series meant taking some type of subject matter and just working it until you were sick-to-death of it. Now I see that it's really about exploring possibilities.

How cool is that??? Ok, I'm probably a little slow on the uptake here, but eventually I get it . . .

4 comments:

Alis said...

I'm glad you are enjoying this course, it looks really good.

I love the piece you have made. The colours are lovely. looking forward to your series now ;0)

Elizabeth said...

Hi Michelle!
It is so nice to meet you!! I am going to be swapping technique atc's with you at Surface Design!! I love your blog- your writing is wonderful you express yourself so well!! I love how you have worked on this piece - I may have to get some fo those Neocolor crayons- are they readily avauilable or INTERNET???
Hugs !
Elizabeth

Michele said...

Hi Elizabeth, nice to meet you, too! I'm looking forward to the swap. Those neocolor crayons are a LOT of fun to use on both fabric and paper; I think I got mine at Dick Blick; the full name of them is "Caran D'Ache Neocolor Crayons." CD'A makes several different "neocolors," so be sure to look specifically for the crayons.

Michele said...

Alis, thanks for your comment. A series is on my "to-do" list (HA HA, along with about 97 other items).