Monday, October 25, 2010

Present Tense

So I DID get a few things done over the summer . . . now that that's clear, fast forward to this week!

Here’s what I’m working on now:

Dyed fabric. I’m trying to get solids, because I’m reading Jean Wells’ Intuitive Color and Design. She uses a lot of solids in her work, and I love the way they look.

I used the gallon plastic bag method and squished a lot, but I still got some mottling:

solids

I machine-pieced this quilt top a couple of weeks ago. Then I thought I would try some needle-turned appliqué. Why? Well, this is going to sound silly to some people: I love certain TV shows, but I get bored watching them and need something to do with my hands. I really enjoyed the hand-appliqué process and think I’ll do more of it. I’m using the methods from the Becky Goldsmith & Linda Jenkins Teach You to Applique the Piece O' Cake Way DVD, and it’s really not difficult at all:

floral_applique

I think I’ll hand-quilt it, as well.

Finally, I’m taking yet ANOTHER online class—this one with Jane Lafazio on her watercolor sketchbook techniques. Here are my first watercolor sketches:

sketch1

sketch2

sketch3 

 

I love these little sketches because they are quick and there’s no pressure, but I learn a lot about color, highlights and shadows, white space, composition, etc. Look for more of these in the next couple of weeks!

Is everyone excited about the Houston Quilt Show???!!!

7 comments:

Norma Schlager said...

Your dyed fabrics are so pretty and I love the mottling. That says hand-dyed to me. I have a friend who taking Jane's class, too. Nice work!

Jeannie said...

I like you watercolor sketches, they are great! I am hoping Jane offers the class again as I had too much on my plate to play now. I love online classes, so I understand wanting to take them all. Have a great week.

Cindy Cooksey said...

Well, you seem pretty busy to me! Love the sketches, fabric, etc.

Michele/TextileTraveler said...

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to find time to use that fabric, but I probably won't get anything done until after Houston . . . and then, of course, I'll come home with a truckload of NEW projects/fabrics/patterns etc.!

Gina said...

I think your mottled fabrics are perfect! Whenever I dig into my stash for solids I always pick the mottled ones. And your sketches are great!

Rayna said...

I personally think that mottled fabric is far more interesting and beautiful than plain solids. These are lovely.

Rachel Murphree said...

Michele, these sketches are wonderful! I like Jane's work.