Sunday, May 6, 2007

Stumbling Along



I'll be the first to admit this looks like no other free-motion quilting I've ever seen. It's pretty awful. I think that's primarily the result of two factors:
  1. Inexperience
  2. Being too tentative
I've figured out since making this piece that being too fearful when free-motion quilting is not helpful. My sense is that I really should just leap in and not keep trying to back out at the last minute. The other trick I've discovered is to attack small sections at a time rather than trying to free-motion all over the place.

By the way, the lettering on the fabric is a result of the alphabet stickers applied to wet, paint-washed fabric. I put the fabric in the sun to dry, then removed the stickers and outlined the light lettering with a fabric pen.

My beautiful DP swears its the loveliest fabric journal cover she's ever seen. I pretended not to remember that she's never actually seen any other fabric journal covers.

No comments: