Sunday, May 6, 2007

Freewheeling, Continued



Just a quick disclaimer: I have no monetary interest in promoting Bautista's book, Collage Unleashed. I don't know Traci, have never met her, and didn't even know who she was before I picked up her book. I'm crazy about the book, though, not necessarily for the projects (although those are fun, and every time I read it I unearth little nuggets buried everywhere), but because it has led me to some of the most spontaneous, freeing art creation in my life. You move quickly in projects like paper-towel monoprints; it's hard to overthink it, and the instant gratification fuels my desire to create even more.

At any rate, I now had a fabulous canvas/painted fabric bag, and some leftover fused pieces. Traci also has ideas for creating handmade journals in her book, so I gathered up some of those papers I had been painting and stamping and cut them down to create signatures for the journal. I sewed the signatures into a cover I made with the leftover painted fabric. I added fibers, ribbon, & embellishments on the spine, and a lampworked bead to the front as a clasp (I attached a cord loop on the back to wrap around the bead).

I love this little journal, and the only thing I might do differently next time is to use copies of my paper as journal pages. Not only did I use up most of my painted paper, but the acrylic is difficult to write on. I have to use a gel pen (although colored pencils work well for drawings).

1 comment:

Granny Fran said...

Having discovered your journey journal, I had to start at the beginning and am slowly working my way through your trip into textile arts and quilting. You go girl! Most of us take forever to get up the guts to try the things you are doing. I think I am now addicted to your oddysey.