Saturday, February 16, 2008
Since my Quilter's Palette class at Quilt U was drawing to a close, I felt like I should actually USE some of the hand-dyed fabric (this doesn't count the hand-dyed fabric quilted sweatshirt jacket I've been working on for the last month and that will likely be finished around July or August, of course). So I made this little journal quilt to commemorate the class with some of my hand-dyed fabrics, all except the "trees," which are black fabric discharged with bleach. It's interesting how photos play up some aspects of the piece and downplay others; the rings aren't really that prominent in RL, but I stitched them with invisible thread, which the flash reflects off of and makes more visible in the photo. I almost didn't post this because, as usual, I'm now picking the piece apart for all its flaws, but I have to keep reminding myself that these little journal quilts are for experimentation and practice.
Speaking of practice, my hand-quilting is improving! It's all that stitching in front of the television while watching episodes of Lost. We're almost through Season 2 and will probably finish the season this weekend.
The other big project I started this week was a clean-sweep of my home office. I have had enough of paper-slides from my desk, tripping over stuff all over the floor, and not being able to find anything. I started by tossing everything off of my desk onto the floor. We have wonderful cabinets in the office--full of junk, of course, so next I tackled those and cleaned them out. I found all these diskettes and tossed them into trash. Then that evil, never-throw-anything-away-crafter side of me kicked in, and I made the mistake of going online to see how these might be recycled. It turns out you can make all kinds of nifty, geeky things from old diskettes. Sigh. Now they're back in the cabinet, but at least they're stacked neatly in a corner.