Sunday, January 13, 2008

Road Trip

I've had a little touch of the January, no-sun blues, and since it was so beautiful yesterday my sweetie decided to take me on a little road trip. We had breakfast at El Rincon (which has the best migas around), then headed to Salado, which is just about 30 miles north of us. I took the camera and got a few interesting pics of things I liked: the back of an old building (I love the juxtaposition of the solid stone with the frail stairs, and of the inviting white door and wreath with the bars that say "keep out"); a closeup of the lion's head knocker on the door of the old building; a decorated door that leads to nowhere; more doors, this time replacing the pickets in a fence (hmm, am I sensing a theme here?).

We wandered and shopped and oohed and aahed, and of course, had to stop by Bird in The Hand, because they carry Brian Andreas's Story People art and his fabulous books.

I picked up some mulberry paper and printed tissue paper at the scrapbooking store to play with in collages.

And then, since no trip to Salado is complete without a stop by The Sewing Basket, Salado's quilt store, we popped in "just to look" and maybe fondle a fat quarter or two. The people at The Sewing Basket are always so nice, and so of course an hour later and quite a bit money poorer, I came out with all this beautiful fabric. I've been looking for something like this for a while: shabby-chicish, girly, soft, old-fashioned. I want to make a rag quilt, something soft and fluffy that just makes me feel good.

It was a lovely, relaxing day; my sweetie always knows how to make me feel better!

No comments: