Monday, June 15, 2009

Weekly Square #15

I'm not working on much these days other than the hand-quilting I started while in the hospital. I am trying to get caught up on weekly journal squares, though. Somehow it seems appropriate that I make these as close to the "moment" as possible, even if they don't turn out well. These journal squares are supposed to represent the actual weeks of this year, so if I can't concentrate, or don't have the energy to do good work, that's as much a part of my life as the weeks when I'm able to take more care with the journal square.

Here is my weekly journal square for the first week of June—the week I had surgery and was in the hospital. This piece started with some complex cloth I created a long time ago, using various dyes, over-dyes, and flour-paste resist.

  • I ripped the fabric in half, then laid the 2 halves on batting.
  • I ran a line of red Shiva Painstik down the tear, then used black embroidery thread to sew the Xs.
  • I added the backing, then hand-quilted various areas of the piece.
  • I finished the square with a whip-stitched binding, using embroidery thread.

Influences for this square are, I guess, fairly obvious, but strangely complex: surgery, stitches, pain, sleep, strange dreams, boredom, anxiety.

zWeek15

2 comments:

Wen Redmond said...

Very nice- I'll bet the stitching was therapeutic. Have you seen the series by Jan Beany?

Lori Gravley said...

Definetly hints at medical procedures. I think you're the only other person I've found who is doing weekly works. How big are your squares?