Friday, July 6, 2007

Sneaking Away from Pear-Picking


Going through my stash of beautiful batiks to create the perfect border on the 2nd pear quilt, I was reminded that I had originally bought them to make a convergence quilt (my life most often reminds me of that book, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. For those of you who have read it, you know exactly what I mean. Is it any wonder I never seem to get anything done?).

At any rate, I put together the convergence quilt top pretty quickly, but of course, it turns out that this is the easiest part. The hard part is figuring out where to take the piece from here. The borders make all the difference on a piece like this, and I also feel like I need to do something in the center--applique?--to break the geometrics up a little and give it a focal point. Or not.

I now have two of these converged pieces I've created, and I'm sure I'll set this one aside with the other one until some day when inspiration hits.

Speaking of inspiration, I guess it's time to go back to the orchard and the workbook and continue working on the pears theme. Speaking of pears, I'm hungry; I wonder if we have any cookies?

2 comments:

Donna said...

I love the work you've been doing pushing yourself to explore pears further and further.... I've thought of getting the art quilt workbook, and checking out your stuff is encouraging me even more...

alice said...

My family loves Laura Numeroff's books. Like you, I can SO identify with her mouse. Every task (work or play) seems to have a distracting sub-task! I agree that your convergence quilt needs more. You used beautiful fabric, but right now, it is just pretty patchwork. What about some pears?